Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Silk

The other day I worked on the second season of the BBC drama ‘Silk’.
It’s essentially a six-part series about life at the Bar, the dilemmas and problems that modern day barristers have to face, and what it means to become a ‘silk’.




SO I know what you're thinking, what does the title 'silk' have to do with lawyers?
Basically the Queen's Counsel wears distinctive full-bottomed wigs and silk gowns which are also worn when appearing in court. 
It is this gown which gives rise to the colloquial reference to Queen's Counsel as ‘silks’ and to the phrase ‘taking silk’ referring to their appointment.







It was great fun to be on set as a prospective associate for Rupert Penry-Jones’s character Clive Reader although to be honest I found him to be rather arrogant.





It was a nice change to work with a female director as film and television crews are hugely male dominated.
Alice Troughton (director) who has also worked on ‘Doctor Who,’ amusingly told me I looked “not a day older than 16”.
Hey I’ll take it. 


I’ve read some very mixed reviews on the show with some describing it as 'cliché' and 'tired' while others labelling it 'clever' and 'witty'.
Let me know what you think of it if it graces your screen! 

7 comments:

  1. Great photos. That's amazing you got to work with Rupert he is so handsome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cool! And I agree that you look a teenager ;-) xxx

    http://sauleandriu.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/dstrkt-london.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. Whatever! I'm 23, I'm almost ancient.
      xo

      Delete
  3. Nice pics.... and yes you do look pretty young. Definitely not in your twenties!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this show! SO JEALOUS! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your blog! Started reading it last week. Well done, it's really good and nice to read. I've worked with Alice in the past, not with me acting or anything, but she's one of the nicest directors. Glad she's working on a good new show! Keep the blogs coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So envious! I personally adore this show and am thrilled the new season should be with us soon. I actually think RPJ is rather scrummy for a blond!

    Emily Jayne xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...